Sunday, June 19, 2011

Looking out a second story window

It was just past noon and the 11:40 to Hobocken had finished giving me its daily ear ache. I straighted the upended pencil cup, dusted off the ceiling grit that had, for the third time that day rained down on the racing form. "she's the one" number 8 in the 6th race looked promising, but I'd need to get some cash together first if I had any chances of playing the ponies and eating allin one evening.

My assignment file was, as it usually seemed to be of late, more a breeding ground for dust than the busy thourofare it used to be. Either husbands were no longer filandering, wives no longer "stepping out to the tennis club", or this part of town was going to need a face lift, or at least more regular police walk thorughs, so I
could get my old high brow clientelle back. My dad used to say "Son, change is decay." In this part of town it certainly held true.

Getting up from my desk, I went to go looking out of the second story window. I could count at least 4 winos sacked out down below. One on each of the benches, and two taking shade in Stoops of the buildings across the way. That just left Gus unnaccounted for but a hacking cough below implied he had taking up residence in the
stoop to my building.

It was August third and the newspaper said two things that interested me. One was that RUssia had just annexed Georgia, Lithuania and the other baltic states, and the other was the temperature was supposed to be topping 104 today. Maybe I could go down to the docks and through fish around for a few hours and still make it back to the 6th race.

I opened the window to let some air in and got a wiff of the bakery's dumpster two doors down. It was going to be a close call. Leave the window down and die of heat stroke, or keep it open and die of asphyxiation. A gentle breeze coming up the street helped me to decide on asphyxiation. The scent was eggs gone bad with a hint of something else. Flowers? Soap? Chanel? Either way it was an improvment and then that's when I saw her. Walking up the street. Her hat dress and shoes matching her lips. A red that would have made Mephestopholes himself jealous.

Even in this part of town she seemed to not care that everyone had stopped to watch her. Her pace never quickened, her glance never once wavered. Eyes forward, mouth turned up in a half bemused grin finely plucked eye brow slightly raised. You can't learn that sort of confidence. That's the type of thing you grow up with. What
was she doing in this part of town and why was she coming to see me. I knew that she was coming to see me specfiically. Call it a hunch, call it a bet. Or maybe call it hope to eat tonight, but except for the Pawn shop 1/2 a block down she had no business coming up this way.

I straighted my tie and walked over to the counter on the far side of the office and pulled out two tumblers. For me I filled mine 3/4 full of Jack. For her's two fingers of Makers Mark, the stuff I keep around for special occations.

Her sillouhete filled the frosted glass that was my front door and she knocked.

"Come on in Jackie, its unlocked."
In she came and made a bee line to the drink. Always full of surprises, she chose the Jack, not the Maker's.
"Brother dear. What do you see in this dreadful part of town?"
"Up until a few months ago it was a steady paycheck. Now, not so much."
"The aweful goings on in Europe have put a damper on most everyone's scandelous fun?"
"So what brings you here? Certainly not a social call?"
"Well it could be if you just came back. Father holds no grudges and would welcome you back with open arms. You wouldn't need to slum it any more."
"I'm sure. I can only imagine the price tag associated."
"Well I wish you would find whatever it is you're looking for so you could come back. I miss your wild adventures and the excitement you bring to the dinner table."
"As much fun as that would be I think I'm happier here."
Her brows knitted and her mouth sneered. She never could reason why I had left in the first place.
"Andy" she was teh only one who I ever let call me that. "Let me cut to the chase. I'm in trouble and I need your help."
Maybe I'd eat tonight after all...

1 comment:

Jen said...

So entertaining! Where's the next chapter?