Monday, May 30, 2011

Write The First Time

The first time I saw a fairy I was 11 years old.  It was the afternoon of my birthday and I was hiding under the willow tree.  I don't remember why I was hiding.  Probably I was trying to avoid my older brothers.  But I know it was my birthday because I was wearing the fairy crown that my grandmother had sent me.  It was a golden circlet studded with bright shiny jewels and a rainbow of ribbons that trailed behind me when I ran.  It matched the fairy wings my father had given me perfectly.  I suppose they had planned the gift but at the time, I marveled in amazement at the fact that the wings and crown seemed to magically belong together.  There was also a wand but one of my brothers had snapped it in half when my father wasn't looking.  Perhaps that was what sent me running to the safety of the willow tree.  The exact events leading up to my first fairy sighting are a bit hazy, but I remember peering out from beneath the blowing leaves toward my house and wishing with all my heart to never be found again.  But my wishing was interrupted by a tugging at my crown.  I thought one of the ribbons had tangled in the tree limbs and absentmindedly reached behind me to try and tug it free.  I gave a good pull.  Imagine my surprise when my ribbon pulled back!

I suppose I should take a moment and set things straight.  You have probably seen pictures of fairies, right?  Small, dainty creatures with gossamer wings and pointed ears that flutter about in puffs of golden sparkles.  Well, let me tell you, that is a total lie.  I know.  When my ribbon refused to untangle, I turned about and came face to face with my very first fairy.

It was awful.

First, they are excessively large.  Not as big as an 11 year old girl but pretty close.  Second, they have never used a hairbrush or had their hair trimmed during the entirety of their very long lives.  I suppose fairies may have golden hair like spun silk if they every bothered to wash it but they never do.  Instead, their hair is a snarl of tangles and twigs and goodness knows what else all mashed into one.  And they smell!  Nothing bad mind you.  No, they smell of an earthy nature which, I suppose, makes a certain sense.  This one had the overpowering odor of eucalyptus leaves.  It was enough to make my eyes water.  Her clothing was rather fairy-ish.  It was a mottled green and brown that would blend in easily in dappled sunlight or fallen leaves.  But it was her face that grabbed my attention.  High cheek bones, a long arched nose, and eyes that were violet.  A deep glowing violet like the color of Welches grape juice.  They were narrow and tilted and determined.  Her grubby hands had hold of my rainbow ribbons and she was doing her best to unseat my crown.  The shock of seeing her had rendered me frozen and she had taken advantage of my shock to drag it from my head.  With a final tug, my present landed in her lap and her face broke into a broad grin revealing a mouth full of small round teeth.  I realized then that she was going to take my new fairy crown, the crown I had been given only an hour ago, and a sudden burst of anger propelled me to action.

"Oh no you don't!" I shouted and lunged toward her.  With a grunt, I grabbed the crown and pulled it toward me.  The fairy let out a cry of dismay and a serious tug of war began.  I was larger and stronger but her wings where real.  Oh yes, she had wings.  They began to flutter as we struggled and the wind churned up a nice cloud of dust and fallen leaves around us.  She even began to rise off the ground, trying to carry my crown up and away with her.  I think she might have succeeded if not for my brother.

"Lucy!  Where are you?" I heard Peter calling from the deck.  "Dad says we have to say sorry for your stupid fake wand.  So get over here you little twerp!"  Peter's voice was getting louder.  He was heading our way.

"I can see you under the tree Lu," Peter yelled.  His feet strode closer as we continued our silent struggle.

"Come on out," Peter demanded, standing right in front of me.  "I'm sorry about your dorky old wand.  Ollie is gluing it up for you and it'll good as new.  I promise.  Just come out from there, ok?"

I saw my brother bend down on one knee and reach to part the tree branches.  The fairy gave one final tug at my crown and then let go with a puff and vanished.  Into thin air.

No comments: