Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Moon Made Me Do It

She peeks over my shoulder and whispers in my ear
as I walk by your house.
My shadow before me, leading the way.
Her glimmering spotlight pins me,
    dares me,
       mocks me.

My feet stop at the gate.  Have I seen it before?
In the sun it was negligible but under this moon, impassible.
But my shadow is unafraid and crosses the threshold.
Up the walk I scurry after,
   until
     I reach
       your door.

Knock or ring?
The moon behind me sings her song of courage and foolishness.
Brave shadow stands before me still.
A moon shadow that raises its hand and descends until,
  you open
     the door.

Shadow?  Moon shadow?  Have you left me so soon?
The light of your house has scared my moon self away.
Your eyes tell me all I need to hear.
My welcome long lost.  Love turned to awkward silence,
embarrassed stammering, and an empty good-bye.
My shadow follows me now down your walk,
   no longer ahead,
     chastised behind.

Ah moonshine, what folly you wreck!
Give me the harsh light of day!
Save me from your silvery strands of hope.
  Of memory.
     No more.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Love it, love it, love it!!!! I've read it about 4 times.....amazing.

Chrissie said...

Oh good! I thought I'd risk a poem too. Glad it worked!