Monday, May 16, 2011

Awake at first light......

Awake at first light on a magnificent summer morning, the chorus of birds is my alarm clock. In the predawn hour, one hearty bird, or obnoxious one, depending on your tolerance for early mornings, gears up as lead performer. Based on some internal mechanism set by his ancestors generations ago, he debuts at 4:45 on the dot and gets the ball rolling. Soon, others from my backyard flock join in and before I know it….aviary symphony.

I don’t mind. In the summer I am up with the sun and outside, full of energy and about 5 pounds lighter than in winter. This morning, I rest quietly in bed, listening to the sopranos a few minutes longer. Then, I pull on my tattered dark green sweatshirt, complete with the St. Louis arch, frayed on the edges and two sizes too big. It is perfect for wrapping me in as I sit on the swing in the backyard. I sip my coffee, smooth and silky with Vanilla Nut creamer, and watch its steam drift into the early morning air. It is crisp and slightly dewy outside. The sky is gray to the west and transitioning pink behind Mt. Hood. Soon it will climb over the peak and the sky will give one last pink hurrah before endless summer blue takes over. The air is ripe with anticipation of what a new day might bring.

My neighborhood is quiet except for a few sorry souls who have to go to work. Occasionally I hear a car go by. My neighbors are still sleeping, as are my dog and little boy. I sit and think. I don’t even bother to get the paper from the front porch. I just have mundane thoughts like, “Which park to go to today? What errands need to be done?” Ordinary, I know, but I am blessed to have nothing on my plate other than quiet summer days with my family.

Slowly, the sun is rising over the mountain. The sky is changing, the pavement is getting warmer. My coffee cup is empty. I walk back into the house and refill it. As I do, I hear the jingle of Daisy’s collar as she gives her beagle ears their morning shake. Then I hear a tentative scratch, indicating she wants out. Hers is the first of many requests and needs I will fulfill today. Soon, Z’s feet will go padding down the stairs and I will be the recipient of a running commentary on any of the following topics: racing cars, which dinosaurs are the coolest, Daisy having a dozen puppies; and my breakfast favorite, the grossest road kill we’ve ever seen.

Inevitably, I will be barraged with requests for mac ‘n cheese, webkinz and Lego building. The peace will be obliterated by one enthusiastic 7 year old and mom duties will begin. But for now, it is just me and my coffee and….recently, one barrel-shaped beagle….sitting outside, watching my little corner of the world come alive.

2 comments:

Chrissie said...

OK, I am coming over to your house tomorrow morning. That is exactly how I want my day to start. But it never does. Here, I awake to the sound of a dog vomiting up undigested pompom strands. You brew the coffee, I will bring croissants.

Jen said...

You're on! We'll have ourselves a lovely vomit-free sunrise.