Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Write About A Sudden Silence

It took two more shots of courage before I left the bar. I needed time to think my options through. It wasn't pretty. Bert must of sensed something was wrong from my sudden silence. He wrung his hands and swayed quietly at my side while my head raced. The Black Moths were big time. As the Citadel grew in strength and pumped out more efficient Runners, the under belly of the city responded in kind. Small time gangs and loan sharks were efficiently rounded up by the Runners and swallowed whole by the dark tower. The ones that escaped detection were the most ruthless and most deadly. About two years ago, rumors began to circulate that a new organization had formed. Petty differences and territory skirmishes were squashed under this new leadership. In order to thwart a better mousetrap, the mice had evolved into something smarter, quicker, and deadlier. I didn't know much about how the organization was run. I liked playing in the kiddie pool and had no illusions that I could swim in the deep end. Unfortunately, it appeared I had just taken the plunge.  But I could run. Berto and I could high tail it right now for the countryside. Maybe find work on a farm or sheep ranch. Or we could head out to sea and try and loose ourselves on one of the outer islands. Maybe try our hands at piracy. But while we might slip out of the reach of the Black Moths, we would leave quite a few behind. Our step brothers and sister, friends, colleges.  I shuddered at the thought.  Santiago knew us.  I had no illusions that he would help me.  The casualties were too high for running away.

I pushed away from the bar and headed out the door and up the stairs.  It was heavy night.  Two moons hung low over the horizon.  My thumb rubbed the embossed moth again and I noted the address.  It wasn't far.  As I headed across town with Umberto in tow, I paused to look up at the Citadel that spiraled up the sky.  Even at this hour of night it was alive with lights and smoke and noise.  That was another option. I stopped on the corner and gazed at the building, thinking.  The Citadel wanted the Black Moths.  They had been hunting them for years.  So far, their Runners had been lead on a merry chase.  They would pay for what I knew.  Heck, this address alone would buy me a years worth of coin alone.  But again, there was the small issue of my family and friends.  While the Citadel would gladly protect me and Berto, I doubt they would throw their cloak of protection over all those I cared about.  No, I knew I had but one real choice. One true choice but there were still a few variables I could finesses. If I was going to have to play this cruddy hand, I might as well stuff as many aces up my sleeves as possible.

"Come on Berto, let's go to the Citadel," I said, walking briskly toward the square.

Berto's face scrunched in confusion.  "Raz?  Why we gonna do that?  I thought you said to never ever ever go there?"

I turned to face my brother.  "I know, I know.  But this is special."  Berto crossed his arms and planted his feet.  Clearly, my earlier admonitions to stay clear of the Runners were in full effect.  I didn't have time to waste so I decided to go to my old stand-by, the harmless lie.

"It's the kids, Berto," I pleaded.  "Remember?  We promised to help them?  Well. my old pal Santiago at the bar told me that the Citadel needs to be told about what is going on.  He thinks the Runners may be able to help.  I have to go and, well, meet with someone real quick. I thought if you head to the Citadel and, you know, report what you learned, that would be fastest?

Umberto's face cleared and his shoulders straightened.  He fairly radiated determination.  "You got it Raz!  I knew you would think of something. I'm a gonna just go and tell..." he faltered and his brows fell again.  "Um, Raz?  Who am I gonna tell?"

"You know, the guy.  The one who deals with the Cuttle?  The ambassador...um, I forget.  Just tell 'em you want to see whoever is in charge of Cuttle relations.  I'm sure they'll direct you were you need to go," I nodded sagely and gently shoved Umberto toward the Citadel.  He didn't look totally convinced so I added, for good measure, "It's for the kids.  Berto.  The kids."

I watched my half-brother as he headed out.  I had no doubt that he would be scuttled back and forth for hours.  He'd probably land at some poor pencil pushers desk but he would also be safe.  For now.  And that was one less thing to worry about.

22342 South Reacher.  I fingered the card one last time before putting it in my pocket.  I twisted the ring around my finger for reassurance and headed off.  Time to meet the Black Moths.

No comments: